Burton is a region of diverse and historic culture, immense beauty and spectacular scenery.
This lakeside community, with a population of 115 people, offers a rural lifestyle with connections to the Okanagan via Highway 6, and to the Trans Canada Highway through Nakusp.
Burton offers a community park with sports field, tennis court/roller rink and playground, a public beach, boat launch and a historic site and campground. There is also a post office, cidery and number of small businesses as well as local B & B’s or summer rentals.
There is the Burton Elementary School with a playground and reading centre, cemetery, community hall and seniors’ club.
Enjoy the Farmer’s Market on Sundays and the Fall Fair at the end of August.
Visit their website at www.burtonbc.ca to find out more information on what’s happening in and around Burton.
In the beginning of 1900 the Hudson’s Bay Company developed the Columbia River to trade with the First Nations for furs. At this time the gold miners also had their camps and boat launching just before the gold rush of Caribou Creek started.
In 1895 Burton City was founded by the Burton brothers.
Between 1865 and 1954 the paddle-wheelers became the main source of supplies and communication.
In 1908 the road was built from Burton to Nakusp, and in the 20’s the Monashee Pass road to Vernon was opened. After the miners began to leave, logging became the driving industry in the valley.