About the Chamber
The mission of the Nakusp & District Chamber of Commerce is to maintain a role of leadership and advocacy in the Nakusp and District business community, while promoting and supporting economic development and tourism in partnership with community stakeholders.
The Nakusp & District Chamber of Commerce was chartered under the Board of Trade Act in Canada on January 29, 1985 and is effectively “owned” by its member businesses. The Chamber is governed by its Board of Directors who are elected from among the membership and represent all sectors of our region.
In 1986 the Ministry of Tourism and the BC Chamber of Commerce joined a partnership to create a Visitor Centre network, and of the 100 plus full status community Visitor Centres in BC, about half are operated by Chambers of Commerce.
With business and community support, the Chamber established the Nakusp Visitor Information Centre in 1986. The Chamber leased the land from the Village of Nakusp, and the original building was donated to the Chamber of Commerce and transported to the current site, located at 92 – 6th Avenue NW. A paddlewheel was then constructed and a recovered steam whistle was installed. The Visitor Centre was substantially renovated in 2003, with significant contributions from fundraising, donations and grants.
The Visitor Centre operates in part, under a Fee for Service contract basis with Destination British Columbia, and the Village of Nakusp. In addition, the Chamber subsidizes the Visitor Centre operational costs, to ensure year-round operations.
Membership services and benefits
- Provide business networking, referrals, mentorship and cooperative marketing opportunities
- Availability for members to enroll in BC Chamber benefits and discounts
- Coordinate member to member discounts and promotional offers
- Provide business services (ie fax, photocopy, internet, printing)
- Provide representation at business, community, economic development, marketing and tourism meetings
- Develop new policies in partnership with BC and Canadian Chambers of Commerce
- Lobby on member behalf at municipal, provincial and federal government levels
- Provide opportunities to meet with elected officials and sponsor All Candidates Forums
Economic & Community Development
- Champion the region to promote sustainable economic and community development
- Partner with community stakeholders to provide training and work experience opportunities
- Promote shop local campaign
- Provide opportunities to promote businesses, training and career development
- Host Business & Career Fair and Business Excellence recognition
- Manage and provide funding for the Visitor Centre
- Provide information services that increase residential and visitor awareness of local, regional and provincial tourism products
- Enhance the quality of the visitor experience by promoting longer stays and/or return visits that will maximize economic benefits to the region
- Provide representation at tourism network and industry conferences & meetings
- Manage brochure racking in visitor centre and on ferries
- Maintain visitor signage at entry points into Nakusp
Partner with community stakeholders to develop an official visitor guide which meets standards as specified by the Nakusp and Arrow Lakes Tourism Plan, and the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Innovation.
- Manage Nakusp & Arrow Lakes Tourism website
- Respond to email, phone, fax and mail requests for information on our area
- Register visitor guide with the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Innovation, and distribute to the Visitor Centre network throughout BC
- Produce and distribute relocation packages
- Collaborate on marketing campaigns across province, Canada and the US